?

Log in

EowynsArtifacts

Jan 2015 - Boutis Jellinge Beast

Journal Info

El Segundo Blue Butterfly
Name
EowynsArtifacts

Jan 2015 - Boutis Jellinge Beast

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
El Segundo Blue Butterfly
Saturday, 31 January was the date of the Superbowl of Stitches, annual fundraiser put on by El Segundo Blue chapter EGA. The project was the Boutis technique, taught by Kim Griffin. It is a technique that dates back at least to 1360-1400 Italy, as that is the technique used to make the Tristan Quilt at the V&A.

I did a piece in a Norse Jellinge Beast (as interpreted by the Dover Design coloring book) design, with colored inserts - The design is inspired by historical precedents, but not actually contemporary with the technique. The use of colored yarns for stuffing is also modern. But the result is very fun.

The materials:
- Design printed on an ink-jet printer on Sulky printable "Sticky Fabri-Solvy"
- 2 pieces of batiste, a thin but high-thread-count, translucent white cotton
- Basting thread (sewing thread)
- Floss to outline the design. White was provided in the kit. I used colored DMC floss: Purple: 327, Blue: 322, Green:909, Yellow 725, Orange 740, Red 666

Steps:
- Stick the design onto one piece of batiste, and baste both batiste layers together.
- Outline the design in running stitch
- Dissolve the design by agitating it in water, then iron it dry.
- Stuff the design areas from the back, leaving big tails.
- Cut off tails and work them inside the channels.
- Wash.

I finished stuffing my boutis by noon on Sunday. Yarn I used to stuff the areas, Herrschners Afghan 2 ply acrylic that I got from Val Reece for this purpose.
Purple, dragon head: medium violet 034; Blue, dragon body: porcelain blue 039; Green, highlight in center of dragon body: green 082; Orange, one tendril/attached flame: dark apricot 056; Red, one tendril/attached flame: red 086.

There was no yellow yarn in the set I got from Val, so I looked around home for something. I found some Merino wool "felting fibers" in a nice bright yellow, so I pulled out a small hank and spun it on my leg into a yarn. I let it fold back on itself to form a "dead end" that I could work with.

Once it was all stuffed (not really overstuffed, but enough to have the color show through), I trimmed the ends on the head (on the back) and started poking the ends inside with a wooden toothpick. Then I scratch at the holes, to get the warp and weft to straighten up and hide the hole. It will be better when I wash it.

Below are the photos so far:


Boutis front - pieces basted together, channels outlined, can see the pattern clearly on the Solvy
 photo IMG_4374_zps9jrzigcl.jpg

Boutis back - channels outlined, see the basting in place
 photo IMG_4375_zps8avenohh.jpg

Boutis front- Solvy pattern dissolved and basting removed
 photo IMG_4376_zpsiw1mialx.jpg

Boutis back - Solvy and basting removed
 photo IMG_4377_zpsbzdf4sa1.jpg

Boutis front - channels stuffed, not trimmed
 photo IMG_4378_zpsxvl4k3fg.jpg

Boutis back - channels stuffed, not trimmed
 photo IMG_4379_zpsbfv7kiyy.jpg

Boutis back - have trimmed the tufts at the head, and tucked in the fuzz on the face and claws. You can see the holes if you look carefully. The tool being used to stuff the ends inside is a wooden toothpick.
 photo IMG_4381_zps5zaldy2s.jpg
Powered by LiveJournal.com